[mou] Birds about the Metro

Steve Weston sweston2 at comcast.net
Wed Jun 6 02:03:15 CDT 2007

In addition to the prairie birds trip, I also stopped at the Black Dog Fen
in Burnsville at about 7:30pm on Sunday.  I heard, but did not stop to find
the Bell's Vireo.  I stayed about a half hour and listened to the  CHAT.  It
was singing softly, as if it was at the nest.  Interesting, was the WOODCOCK
that flash by in the late dusk as we stood in the parking lot.

On Friday, I found a pair of TRUMPETER SWANS on a pond in Champlin at about
112th and Xylon.

Yesterday (Monday), I checked out woods below Shaar's Bluff off of Hillary
Path, west of Hastings.  I found a Great Horned Owl being harrassed by a
Cooper's Hawk, who enlisted the support of a murder of crows.  In the woods
I found a Scarlet Tanager and Ovenbird.

Today (Tuesday) I found a COMMON LOON on the Arbor Lake in Maple Grove off
of Hemlock.  There was also a Spotted Sandpiper there.

sweston2 at comcast.net