[mou] About the metro: Henslow's Sparrow

Steve Weston sweston2 at comcast.net
Wed Jun 13 03:48:43 CDT 2007

This evening (tuesday) I stopped by the Eckankar prairie in Chanhassen north
of Hwy 5 between Lake Ann Park and Powers Blvd.  I did not find the
Dickcissels, which were here last year, but I did find a singing HENSLOW
SPARROW, Bobolink, Clay-colored Sparrow, and a pair of Green Herons.  This
was on private land.  I do not know if they are sensative to an occasional
birder stopping by, but I suggest that there is less chance of contact, if
you avoid regular business hours.

Yesterday (monday)  I saw two swans in Coon Rapids just east of Main Street
and US 10.  I stopped only briefly, and the one swan appeared to be a Mute
Swan.

On our trip to Frontenac, we found quite a variety of butterflies.  Common
Ringlets were common in the grasslands.  We also found Great Sapngled
Fritillaries, Red-spotted Purples, Red Admirals, Eastern Yellow Swallowtail,
Hackberry Emporer, Monarchs, and an as yet unidentified skipper.

sweston2 at comcast.net