[mou] FW: Henslow's Sparrow, 215th St. and Laigle Ave., Dakota County

Laura Coble shearwater45 at frontiernet.net
Thu Jun 14 17:41:04 CDT 2007

  _____

From: Laura Coble [mailto:shearwater45 at frontiernet.net]
Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2007 5:21 PM
To: 'mnbird at lists.mnbird.net'
Subject: Henslow's Sparrow, 215th St. and Laigle Ave., Dakota County

Today at 9: 00 am, after three years of hearing and searching for this shy,
elusive bird in MN, I finally added HENSLOW'S SPARROW to my life list!
Thanks to Bob Dunlap, who discovered this location, and Steve Weston, who
posted it on June 6th with his Dakota County Prairie Bird field trip report.

Several Henslows were singing on the south side of  215th Ave, but didn't
appear. A single Henslow's flew up to a fence post on the west side of
Laigle Ave. He flew across to the meadow on the east side, and continued to
sing, perched on a blade of grass. I had spectacular views with my scope for
several minutes! Yay!
I had visited this location earlier this month with no luck for the
Henslow's, but saw the BOBOLINKS, CLAY-COLORED and GRASSHOPPER SPARROWS, and
SEDGE WRENS. I also spotted A GREAT EGRET, which was back behind the tall
grass in one of the small ponds or potholes. Today I heard a single
DICKSISSEL.

When you exit from I-35, coming from the south or north to CR 70 (210th
St.), drive west a very short way from the I-35 bridge, and immediately turn
left onto Keokuk Avenue W., a gravel road. This turns into 215th St. after a
mile, when you turn right. Follow 215th St. to the intersection with Laigle
Ave. and listen along both roads for the birds.