[mou] BWCA Birds

shawn conrad dingermcduff at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 14 22:05:56 CDT 2007

I did an overnight trip into the BWCA for work.  I entered at the Snake
River entry point near Isabella.  I eventually made it to Pietro Lake, an
area that was extensively burned during last year's Turtle Lake Fire.

I didn't have any free time to bird, but I did catch sight or sound of about
50 species.  I wish I would have had more time to explore the burned areas
as I was hearing lots of birds in there and woodpecker activity was very
obvious on the killed trees.

Highlights:
In the burned area on the north shore of Pietro, a female Black-backed
Woodpecker.
Olive-sided Flycatchers on the north and south end of Pietro.
Yellow-bellied Flycatchers on the north & south end of Pietro and along the
Snake River entry point trail
Cape May Warblers along the Snake River entry point trail, including one
present both days right where the portage reaches the river.  (200 rods if
you want to have a shot at it!)
Blue-headed Vireos singing along the Snake/Isabella Rivers.

Shawn Conrad
http://users.2z.net/itasca_chippewa_birding/