[mou] Beltrami Co - Big Bog State Recreation Area

Pat DeWenter hoocooks4you at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 17 21:23:26 CDT 2007

Yesterday, Bob and I walked the boardwalk at the Big Bog SRA north of Red Lake.  We heard and saw a singing Connecticut Warbler, singing Yellow-bellied Flycatchers and a singing LeConte's Sparrow at the very end of the boardwalk.  The Connecticut Warbler and Yellow-bellied Flycatcher were approximately halfway up the boardwalk.  We also had many Palm Warblers and White-throated Sparrows.

Also heard but did not see a Connecticut Warbler on the Rapid River Road in the Beltrami State Forest.  Unfortunately we dipped on Boreal Chickadee, Gray Jay, grouse and crossbills in the state forest.  The roads were all dry and driveable, but if going up here be sure and bring repellant.  The flies were horrendous, whether they were horseflies or deerflies I don't know.  The larger flies weren't biting but the smaller ones did a number on my ankles!

Pat DeWenter
Bemidji - Beltrami Co.