[mou] Henslows Sparrow - Redwood Co.

Pmegeland at aol.com Pmegeland at aol.com
Sun Jun 24 09:28:15 CDT 2007

Yesterday I took a short side trip after returning form visiting my Mother
in the Hospital in Granite Falls. Three Henslows were seen or heard just east
of  North Redwood. Direction are: in North Redwood just north of the railroad
tracts  is Front Street which goes east after going by housed it turns into a
gravel  road. The birds were in the first meadow on the south side of the road
after it  turns to gravel. This road goes a couple of miles in the lower part
of the  valley. It is an interesting road with meadows, rock outcrops and
prairie. Other  birds noted were Yellow-billed Cuckoo, many Dickcissels,
Clay-colored Sparrows,  Bobolinks, and a Willow Flycatcher.
On another note, about a week ago I came back to the cities on the Sioux
trail in Renville County. I started about 5:30 in the afternoon at Chippewa 40
which is just east of Granite Falls off of US212 and then went along the  river
for about 20 miles to Renville Co. 1. It was truly a beautiful three hours
of birding. I was amazed to see over 80 species. Highlights were  many.
Chippewa co.- stopped at the Gneiss Outcrop S&A where I had 3 Lark  Sparrows,
Grasshopper Sparrow, 2 Yellow-billed Cuckoos, Orchard Oriole, 5  turkeys and
many Dickcissels.
Renville Co.
Red-Shouldered Hawk carrying prey, seen at point where Sacred Heart creek
crosses the Sioux trail
Turkey- One adult with 3 poults already 3/4 grown
14 Towhees
8 Lark Sparrows
5 Wood Thrush seen or heard at 4 locations
4 Scarlet Tanagers
1 Eastern Meadow Lark-seen at top of valley where 200th street hits  the
trail.
1 Kingfisher diving and catching a small fish and then bringing it to a  hole
in the bank of the river on the Yellow Medicine side of the river
1 Black-billed Cuckoo
over a dozen Indigo Buntings
many Dickcissels
several Turkey Vultures
all six Swallows
Many Prairie flowers were in bloom, and there were 100s of Red  Admirals
June is a great month to bird the upper MN River Valley.
Paul Egeland - Bloomington