[mou] Great-tailed Grackles in Jackson County

John Green jgreen at d.umn.edu
Thu Jun 28 12:45:36 CDT 2007

John and I just returned from a prairie field tour with the DNR's
Scientific and Natural Areas program plus some extra birding.

On June 24th we found a family of Great-tailed Grackles - one adult
male, one adult female, and one juvenile bird (dark eye, tail shorter
than female) in Minneota Township (T101N, R36W, Sec. 29).  They were
near the same area that John Ellis reported Great-tailed Grackles on
June 15th  The family group was feeding in a closely grazed pasture with
some Black Angus cattle.  It was on County #4 just 0.2 miles east of the
junction of Co. #4 and 440th Ave. This spot is just west of the junction
of Co. #4 and Minn. 86.

Jan Green