[mou] American Woodcock (Dakota)

David A. Cahlander david at cahlander.com
Fri May 4 00:29:52 EDT 2007

Black Dog Fen, past the play area on Cliff Rd, between 35W and CR13.
American Woodcock can be seen displaying down the path, that is over the railroad tracks at the Black Dog Fen.  Marj and I went out to see them at sunset and got some pictures.

    American Woodcock
    http://moumn.org/gallery/right_page.php?index=0&region=MN&species=American%20Woodcock

Listen for the peet sound.  When thy fly up into the air you can go up to the area where they were.  They fly back to the same area.  It is a little late in the season to view these birds, but it worked out just fine for us.  Marj held the spotlight and I was able to shoot pictures at ISO 1600 and ISO 800 with an f/2.8 lens.
---
David Cahlander david at cahlander.com Burnsville, MN 952-894-5910