[mou] fighting mallards

Annette Smith anne_0266 at yahoo.com
Fri May 4 11:56:40 EDT 2007

I've seen waterfowl chase waterfowl but I've never seen anything like the exchange I saw yesterday afternoon.  I was watching across the creek when three ducks flew into my view, two male mallards and a female.  At first it looked as if the males were vying for the female but then it appeared as if they were attacking her as she was repeatedly submerged in the water.  It was almost like watching one of those wire-fu martial arts movie what with the way the fight was moving up and down the creek, they were skimming right across the top of the water.  After about 5 minutes the fight moved just far enough down creek that my view was obscured by the brush on the bank, but I could still see some movement and I could clearly hear the ducks.  I don't know what happened to the female, perhaps I blinked and she flew away or perhaps the males became focused on one another, but the fight between the males continued.  They came into view a few times and then continued fighting down
 creek, out of sight and hearing range.  I watched for a while expecting at least one of the ducks to come flying back this way but after ten minutes I gave up the watch.  I don't recall how much time passed before I heard a duck out in the creek but when I got up to look I didn't see it anywhere.  It was a very aggressive and loud exchange.

I also saw a bird, a swallow I think, take a tumble in the air after being hit but a hard wind.  It was flying in my direction when strong gust of wind came and just tossed it.  It really had to struggle to gain control.

On a lighter note I've seen (recognized for the first time) an Eastern Phoebe both yesterday and today.

Annette R.
Carver, MN