[mou] Willets in Itasca County

Earl Orf earlorf at uslink.net
Sat May 5 09:41:51 EDT 2007

Shorebirds are very hard to find in Itasca County because we just don't have
the right habitat.  So, I was pleasantly surprised to find two Willets at
the Trout Lake boat landing in the town of Coleraine yesterday.  They were
resting on a rock point near some Ring-billed Gulls.  When they flew up,
circled around and landed again in the same spot I saw the diagnostic black
and white wing pattern of the Willet.

I also saw a Solitary Sandpiper in a small pond near our driveway.  We live
near Highway 169 and CR 7 (also called the Scenic Highway).

Earl Orf

www.earlorfphotos.com