[mou] frothing at the window

Thomas Maiello thomas at angelem.com
Mon May 7 13:22:22 EDT 2007

More praise of water features from just north of Fridley America.  In
one - one stationary view of my water feature today I had 5 different
species all vying for the coveted low multiple bathing spot at the
top of my upper pond - two first of yard this year and they were all
interacting and chasing and pecking and going on and on about who
gets in next.  The 5 beasties were my FOY (First of Yard) NASHVILLE
WARBLERs (yes more than one) and the LINCOLN'S SPARROWs (Yes, now
more than one) all interacting with several TENNESSEE WARBLERs, and
surprisingly passive House Sparrow and a well behaved GRAY CATBIRD.
Intermingled around this foray of brazen bathing urgency were WHITE-
THROATED SPARROWs, WHITE-CROWNED SPARROWs, a remnant RUBY-CROWNED
KINGLET, a few Robins who have learned to stay clear of the brawling
caffeinated birds, numerous blazing goldfinches, a nesting pair of
cardinals, the foraging Brown Thrasher that annually mates (the other
must be on the nest based on behavior and the lack of seeing the two
together anymore), and the now every present and also FOY for my
yard, the SWAINSON's THRUSH.

The center of all of there attentions is the water feature.  I put
out a lot of seed in the open, scarred area around the newly
installed ponds and that has drawn in the various sparrows.  Then
overflying them in the trees and shrubs are the others, all focusing
on when they get their chance at the various areas of the ponds and
falls.  Many are still trying to figure out the various accesses and
bathing spots and argue when they think they have found one.

Last year I had only single Tennessee Warbler and no other warblers
at all, no thrushes other than too many robins, no Lincoln's Sparrow
and lesser numbers of the regular cast of usual suspects.

Me being a happy camper these days! - opps, a Nashville just checked
out my historic bird bath right outside my window - gotta go bird my
yard again.  I am covered with goose-bumps and giddy as a school boy
falling in love for the first time.  I find it hard to stop
giggling.  And I am 54 years old.  Chuckle, chuckle - I wouldn't
trade my life for a younger one for nothing.  See Thomas smile.
Smile.  Smile.  Smile.  See Thomas Bird.  Bird.  Bird.  Bird.

Thomas Maiello
Spring Lake Park