[mou] interesting article

Holly Peirson hpbirdscouter at msn.com
Thu May 10 09:28:45 EDT 2007

Well, Jim:

It took some time, but I looked up your question, because I didn't know the
answer. I don't know if anyone else knows the answer, perhaps others have
responded to you back-channel.

I found that the article is about European swift species, and that there is
documentation of one European species that has been documented to sleep on
the wing, seen by pilots in aircraft. For the rest of the species, including
all North American species, roosting is the typical way of sleeping and
spending the night. They roost communally, in small groups, even while the
one pair of birds per roost site is nesting. Later, after nesting is over,
they congregate and use larger roosting sites with many hundreds of birds
each night, especially on migration. They are a diurnal migrant.

The article suggests that swifts change their wing shape and angle according
to the type of flight they are engaged in, and that was corroborated in
these accounts as well.

Does that answer your question?

I used John K Terres' Encyclopedia of North American Birds, and Birds of
North America online for resources.

Thanks for asking a question that required study to answer, I like those
kinds!

Holly Peirson

Columbus, Anoka Co.

  _____