[mou] IMBD/Otter Tail Co

Dan & Sandy Thimgan thimgan at digitaljam.com
Sun May 13 16:00:19 EDT 2007

Our International Migratory Bird Day group wallowed in glorious spring
weather on Saturday as we birded Otter Tail County.  From the center of the
county to Fergus Falls then south and west to Western Township (for prairie
and wetland birds)....then meandering back to the central part of the county
and Glendalough State Park (for woodland birds).  In all, we tallied 120
species.

Some highlights:
The Great Egrets and Black-crowned Night-herons of Grotto Lake in Fergus
Falls.  You can stand so close to the nests that it's almost voyeuristic!

In one quarter mile stretch in Western Township, we had a pair of Upland
Sandpipers, five Marbled Godwits, Brewer's Blackbirds, and three Wilson's
Phalaropes.  With high water everywhere, there was little shorebird habitat.
All we could manage was a few Least Sandpipers, some Yellowlegs, and a
single (appropriately) Solitary Sandpiper.

Even though they just dribbled in, we ended up seeing 11 Warbler species at
Glendalough SP,  including killer looks at Blackburnian Warbler and Northern
Waterthrush.  Big Ovenbird numbers at the park, also.

We had good Sparrow numbers with 11 species, and a good mix of duck species
(also 11).  Startling close-ups of Northern Shovelers and elegant male
Pintails!  We also watched a large group of American White Pelicans doing
their synchronized fishing maneuver.  Impressive.

This group always insists on great food, too.  blueberry buckle, bean dip,
(and following our usual IMBD food theme:  "Dead Bird") deviled eggs, and
smoked chicken breast sandwiches.

The group: Jeff Schultz, Tom Egeberg, Sandy & Dan Thimgan.

--
Thimgans
Otter Tail County