[mou] American golden plovers- kandiyohi co.

Randy Frederickson fredericksonr at willmar.k12.mn.us
Mon May 14 08:33:33 EDT 2007

Between graduations and Mom's day stuff, got out for a little while on 5/14
to look for shorebirds.  Checked 3 small spots and found golden plovers in
all 3 locations.  Numbers were: 2, 5, 63.  The flock of 63 was by far the
largest flock of this species I had ever seen.  Later in the day, a friend
of mine counted a flock of about 50 golden plovers at the location I had
seen 2.  These are small insignificant wetlands.  Makes one wonder what a
larger attractive wetland in western Minn would have yielded yesterday.  For
some reason, this species was on the move in the best numbers we've had
represented here since I've been birding.  Gorgeous birds!

Randy frederickson
willmar