[mou] Todd Co. Cerulean & Blue-winged Warblers

Benjamin Fritchman fieldfare21 at hotmail.com
Tue May 15 21:27:05 EDT 2007

This morning, I (along with Carol Schumacher, Bob Ekblad, Jeff Stephenson,
and Ron Erpelding) was fortunate enough to find two very rare warblers for
Todd County. I've lived in Todd County for 7 years now, and both were new
for me in the county. We also had a Clark's Grebe at Lake Osakis, which was
seen from Battle Point County Park.

Blue-winged Warbler-2 different birds in separate locations! The first was
heard and seen interacting with a Golden-winged Warbler(maybe some
interesting hybrids are soon to come...). The location was 5 miles east of
Long Prairie along 295th ave., about 1/2 mile south of Hwy. 27.
The second Blue-winged was found east of Burtrum, where 341st ave. and 168th
st. come together.

Cerulean Warbler-Roughly 4 miles south of the 2nd Blue-winged warbler is a
WMA on the east side of 341st ave called Oak Ridge WMA. There is an area to
pull in where it looks like they've done some cutting recently. Park here
and walk straight east towards the lake. The Cerulean was actively singing
and defending his territory here. You could here him from pretty far away,
and he never stopped singing. We got great looks....the Cerulean even came
down to ground level, and we were able to see it from above....I've never
seen the back of a Cerulean...usually it's a white belly straight above me
in the canopy of the tallest trees!

We ended the day with 124 species in Todd. 10 short of breaking the
record.....next year....

Ben Fritchman