[mou] Evening Grosbeaks

Dee Kuder dkuder at citlink.net
Thu May 17 07:03:55 EDT 2007

Yesterday while walking the Herriman Lake Trail in Crane Lake in northern St
Louis County, I came across a small flock of Evening Grosbeaks. They were
way up in an Aspen tree. There was a strange call being emitted by one of
the birds, I had never heard the call before, it was a low buzzy chirping.
Then I observed one bird fluttering its wings like young birds will do when
they are begging for food. An adult male then fed the begging bird. I wonder
if they already have young birds just fledged or if this was a courtship
ritual.

Diane (Dee) Kuder

Crane Lake, MN