[mou] Four Day MN tour

Mike Hendrickson smithville4 at charter.net
Sun May 20 13:28:33 EDT 2007

Terry Brashear made a good point on his posting about rarities being buried
in postings and this is a good example.

*BLACK-THROATED BLUE WARBLER is a tough bird to find migrating along the
northshore of Duluth and it should of been highlighted in this posting by
Al.
*KENTUCKY WARBLER should of been highlighted even though it has nested in
Williams Nature Center but other listserv subscribers would probably like to
know about recent sightings and also direction on where the bird was found
singing.
*TWO EARED GREBES & WESTERN GREBE along Park Pt!!  That is a incredible
sighting and I would of love to see these birds plus a Western Grebe!  Also
I am sure the birdathon folks would of liked to know about these sightings
and also resident birders in Duluth.
*A FURRUGINOUS HAWK at Big Stone Refuge. WHERE exactly was the bird and what
was the date? This is a casual raptor that even I have yet to see in
Minnesota. I am sure birders from all over Minnesota would of like to know
of this raptor rather seeing it listed days ago in this posting.
*CLARK'S GREBE should of been highlighted.

I been following Craig Mandel's example by telling readers where I birded
and then highlighted at the TOP of posting the rare/casual sightings,
followed by locations/directions.  For example where on Park Pt. did you see
these grebes? Park Pt. is several miles long! There are several places to
bird along here and where were these birds? On the lake? In the bay?  Where
was the Black-throated Blue Warbler found in Stoney Pt? Near the stone wall?
Near the old cabins?

Also birders should be contacting local birders when they find something
good in their county or city.  I would never spot a curve-billed thrasher at
Wood Lake then report on the listserv when I got home.  I call Tony Hertzel,
Denny Martin and others to spread the word. I would call Jeanne Joppru if I
was in NW Minnesota, I would call John Hockema or Dedrick Benz if I was in
SE Minn., I always call Jim Lind, Kim Eckert and Peder S. when I spot
something good in Duluth or in NE Minnesota.  There is always someone to
call and I notice this isn't happening very much and birders are not
reporting these type of birds till they get back home.

Take time to understand the range of birds and if you are not sure if it's
rare or not, call someone and use the MOU directory and spread the word.

Michael Hendrickson
Duluth, Minnesota
Lake Superior Boat Trips
http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/