[mou] Four Day MN tour

Pastor Al Schirmacher pastoral at princetonfreechurch.net
Sun May 20 14:03:35 EDT 2007

Mike & MOU,

Black-throated Blue Warbler was singing at the southern entrance to Stoney
Point on Thursday.  Kentucky Warbler was on the right hand trail of Williams
near the open area after the dense oaks - just as Craig Mandel had
previously posted.  The Eared Grebes and Western were behind the boathouse
(or whatever it exactly is) on the lake side on Thursday (this was my first
spring Duluth visit, and I was unaware of how unusual the Eared & Western
were - have seen Western in Superior before in September).  Ferruginous Hawk
was on the southernmost road of Big Stone Refuge on Wednesday, I don't have
specific directions (not being intimately familiar with the area) - this was
actually it's second sighting in the area in three days.  The Clark's Grebe
was in its typical area on Thielke Lake Wednesday.

While appreciating the feedback, this post should have been privately sent
rather than to MOU as a whole.  Terry's excellent points were suggestions,
not regulations - and flexibility is allowed in one's posting style.  I was
away from my work system until this morning, so this was posted at my
earliest normal opportunity.  I do not carry a lot of birders' numbers on my
cell phone, but would if someone wants to hear about area sightings.  I
would not presume to call someone that I'm not in regular contact with about
birds.  In addition, capitalizing on emails is considered "shouting" -
effective once or twice, ignored if done too often (IMHO).

Let's be careful with our posts - using someone's sharing to "grind an axe"
doesn't generally lead to positive results - frankly has already led to
polarizing emails from others.  This became evident on last week's unoffical
survey - there are a number of people who do not post anymore because they
have felt attacked.

However, I will continue to post - and if some of the suggestions become
rules, will be happy to follow them.

Good birding to all!

Al Schirmacher
Princeton, MN