[mou] Injured BTBW - Hennepin Co.

James Mattsson mattjim at earthlink.net
Mon May 21 13:04:52 CDT 2007

5/21/07
9:00am
Wood Lake NC

Today I finally went to see the male Black-throated Blue Warbler that has been present for several days. I immediately found it singing just a few feet from the ground and was somewhat dismayed to see that its right wing was drooping and obviously damaged. I was able to get some photos and posted a composite on the MOU photo gallery web site http://moumn.org/ .

Click on Galleries, then on Photo Gallery-MN, then click on BTBW and hit the arrow at the top of the screen until you see the composite image showing 2 views of the injured right wing. I watched the bird for nearly an hour and it eventually climbed a leaning tree trunk all the way to the upper canopy. At one point I saw it make a fluttery flight downward and it appeared incapable of sustained flight. I viewed Peter Neubeck's video clip on the MOU site and the wing appears normal in that image. One possible explanation for the bird remaining for so long is that the wing has been slightly injured all along, having now gotten worse.  Pure speculation, however.

Jim

James Mattsson
mattjim at earthlink.net
EarthLink Revolves Around You.