[mou] ID sought on interesting small sandpiper

Jim Williams two-jays at att.net
Tue May 22 06:47:30 CDT 2007

Yesterday morning I photographed an interesting small sandpiper bearing
some characteristics of Western Sandpiper. The bird was seen from the
blind on the west side of the Purgatory Creek wetland. I have since
been seeking help with identification. A photo of the bird were sent to
Tony Hertzel, Bob Janssen, Mike Hendrickson, and others. Tony and Bob
have yet to reply. Mike saw characteristics of both Western and
Semi-palmated Sandpiper and suggested I seek ID help from people
familiar with the species. Six members of the birdchat network are now
looking at the photo. I am NOT saying this is a Western Sandpiper.
While it is the correct size and has the down-curved bill and dark
legs, definitive identification is yet to be made. I will post again
when more information is available.

Jim Williams
Wayzata