[mou] dickcissels on 42?

Richard Wood rwoodphd at yahoo.com
Wed May 23 11:01:39 CDT 2007

Hi all,

I did a little Dickcissel-ing this morning, driving on 42 as far as the entrance to Shaar's Bluff at Spring Lake, but I didn't see anything that resembled a Dickcissel (or a Richardcissel, for that matter).

However, just past where 52 and 55 merge (across from the Pine Bluffs Bend SNA sign), I believe that I MAY (again, I say MAY) have seen a Red-headed Woodpecker fly across 55 right in front of me.  The bird I saw was black and white in the correct combination to be a RHWP, but I didn't get to see its head (tho the leading edge/shoulders were black and the trailing edge of the wings was white).

Good birding,
Richard

Richard L. Wood, Ph. D.
University of Minnesota