[mou] Spotted Towhee at Murphy-Hanrehan, Scott County

Williams, Bob BXWilliams at CBBURNET.COM
Wed May 23 12:29:04 CDT 2007

Early this morning I heard and then saw a Spotted Towhee at
Murphy-Hanrehan in Scott County.  I heard it calling regularly from a
wooded area on the right hand side of the trail between #32 and #34.
The call had only 1 note introducing the trill rather than the
traditional 2 notes of the Eastern Towhee.  I also heard a scolding call
that I've never heard from an Eastern Towhee.  Before I could locate the
bird visually, it was chased off by a Baltimore Oriole.  In flight I
could clearly see the white markings on the back and wings.  It flew
south across the water towards a wooded area between #34 and #35.  I
made no attempt to relocate the bird.

I looked for Dickcissels along Murphy Lake Blvd. just north of 175th and
found one.
Bob Williams, Bloomington