[mou] posting brew-ha-ha

Thomas Maiello thomas at angelem.com
Fri May 25 11:11:54 CDT 2007

I have been posting and reviewing posts for some 10 or so years now
on both MN and MOU servers.  My observations around their use is that
a wide variety of people with various amounts of experience and
expertise use this service.  I observe the clashes to be between the
two extremes - those who use the service as a technical tool to
forward their expertise and enhance scientific understanding and
conservation of birds and those who like looking at birds in their
backyard as an enhancement to their lives and like to share what they
see.  If this service was originally designed for use of the former
then I agree that rules and guidelines should be clearly defined.  If
it was designed for the latter then I would say lets just have what
we have and invite others to jump in.

As many of you can tell, I have scientific training in ornithology
and also just love looking at the feathered beasties.  I get value
out of all of it and out of every post that comes before me.  I don't
read the ones I don't want to.  I scrutinize the ones I want to.  At
this time of the year, or just recently to be more specific, I really
scan every post for a bird that I may be interested in.  I don't care
what the format or the author - I scan for bird names.  Could there
be a clearer way to put bird names in a post - sure.  But I think
that would ultimately require guidelines being put in front of
everyone every time they post.  When I first started posting, I was
afraid of "doing it wrong" so I posted very little, got flamed a few
times and withdrew, joined again and got the hang of it for the most
part and have kept in there.  I do get flamed occasionally because
some folks just don't like folksy stories about birds that
occasionally seep out of me.  I do post bird names in all caps
sometimes when I remember or think it of special note.  After 17
years in Minnesota, quite honestly, I still do not really know what
birds are unique or special or worth special note in a posting.
However, it is through this service that I have learned about many
that are.

This service is a huge teaching device - not just an information
source.  There are master teachers who use this and minimalist
birders like me who use this.  I have learned more about birds by
accessing this service than all the years I have birded, the
experiences I have had in the field or looking out my window, or
studied in school.

I would like this service to be open to everyone and those of you who
are master birders, aged and ripened like a fine wine, those of you
who are professional teachers, list keepers, county occurence
mappers, variation nuancers, and anyone with any expertise at all -
use this service to teach us.  Use this service to share you
knowledge with the world of people even slightly interested in
birds.  Teach us.  Hear what we have to share and offer additional
info.  Accept our ignorances and minor offerings and hear where we
might be open to hearing refined information from you.

So for me, let's invite anyone who has an interest in birds to share
their knowledge and apparent ignorance.  Let's allow fledgling
birders to mingle with the pros.  Let's accept unconditionally and
release our tolerance and judgments.  We have birds in common.  Let's
nurture that.  The birds will ultimately be the winners.

Thomas Maiello
Spring Lake Park