[mou] Very informal survey results

Pastor Al Schirmacher pastoral at princetonfreechurch.net
Fri May 25 10:40:57 CDT 2007

Last week I informally polled MOU and MNBird participants why many do not
post, or post very infrequently - had 38 responses (some with multiple
reasons, a few with none/simply wanted to discuss the topic generally).
Following is a summary of the reasons shared:

* Past negative experience - 16

* Insecurity about ID skills, reluctance to make mistake - 7

* Busyness - 6

* MOU is not for common birds - 3

* Quality of posts generally down - 2

* Lack of observations - 1; lack of guidance - 1

There were two sides to the "past negative experience" answers.  Many shared
that they had posted in the past, received questions - criticism - attacks -
flaming about an observation, and decided to only monitor the list
observations (one wonders how many also just left?).  Others shared that
they wanted to help people with questionable observations, but felt that
their input would only hurt feelings, so they hold back.

Perhaps we should consider developing a few guidelines to help bring these
two sides together, perhaps a format or suggested approach for experienced
members to use when questioning a sighting (ask/don't criticize, share
backchannel rather than on the list, be aware that their email could be sent
to the moderator for review or similar) and a notice telling a new member
that sightings are occasionally questioned for their and the overall
association's good?  (Just my opinion.)

Would love to see us address newer/inexperienced birder insecurity as well.

There was also a perception among some members of both lists that MNBird was
friendlier, and MOU less so (heard the word "elitist" a few times, which is
both sad and a bit strong) - perhaps the differing natures of the two
organizations impacts this?

Personally I appreciate, am committed to and have profited from being part
of both "e-communities", and plan to continue reading and sharing openly.

Good birding to all!

Al Schirmacher
Princeton, MN
Mille Lacs & Sherburne Counties