[mou] turkeys and grouse question

shawn conrad dingermcduff at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 6 18:31:16 CST 2007

Occasionally, Ruffed Grouse can be heard drumming in the fall.  Practicing?  I guess it wouldn't be that different than occasionally hearing any other bird sing its song in fall or winter for no apparent reason.  Shawn Conradhttp://users.2z.net/itasca_chippewa_birding/

From: jadrake at arvig.netTo: mou-net at moumn.org; ajjoppru at wiktel.comDate: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 08:56:42 -0600Subject: [mou] turkeys and grouse question

Ottertail cty., MN (Richville area)

25 turkeys in our yard today cleaning up the seeds dropped by everyone else.  They stayed for about 45 minutes until the garbage truck came.  Nice to see the guys stop and stare at the birds too.

Do grouse normally display all year?  I thought they only bred in the spring.  None of my bird books make mention of fall displays.

We had 2 ruffed grouse in our yard again on Sunday.  The female was hiding in our spruce tree and the persistant male spent more than 2 hours fluffed up and walking slowly back and forth under the tree for her to see.  He kept turning his tail fan so she could get a good look at it and occasionally shaking his head to presumably to show off the ruff.  He didn't even twitch when we pulled out to go to church and drove within 15 feet of him.  I've no idea how much longer they stayed.

Amy