[mou] Great Black-backed Gull in Duluth

Eckert K R eckertkr at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 14:18:43 CST 2007

A first-winter Great Black-backed Gull was seen in the Duluth harbor
area shortly after noon today. It was standing among several Herring
Gulls on the dock next to the Gerdau Ameristeel building. To reach this
location from I-35, go south on I-535, take the Garfield Ave/Port
Terminal exit just before the bridge, bear right and turn right again
at the blue Gerdau Ameristeel sign just before the UPS building. As
this road curves right, there is a wide pullout on the left from which
you can scan the small wooden dock to the north. It is also possible to
drive farther north towards the building to get closer to the dock: I
have birded here several times in the past without a problem, staying
out of the way of trucks, but if anyone is around it wouldn't hurt to
ask permission.

If the gull is not there, check the Miller Creek mudflats farther north
near the corner of I-35 and I-535 where gulls often congregate. From
I-35, take the 27th Ave West exit, cross over to the bay side of the
freeway, take the first left by the WLSSD sewage treatment buildings,
and continue east ~1/2 mile until you see the gulls and mudflats on
your right.  - Kim Eckert