[mou] Park Point Rec Area

Michael Hendrickson mlhendrickson at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 5 19:17:19 EDT 2007

I was at the Park Point Rec. Area from 12:00 - 2:30pm and saw a few good birds.  The weather is ugly with strong gusty NNE winds at 25-30mph and constant light rain to moderate rain.  Tomorrow's boat trip is still on!!  as the weather system moves on to the east.  It wll still be good for jaegers and other goodies for lake scanning as the winds will be 10-15mph from the NNE mid-day and also on Sunday.  There is off and on chance for rain for Saturday but scattered thunderstorms for Sunday. So if you are planning on coming up hopefully some good birds will be sighted.

  Birds:

  4 Surf Scoters (3 imm types and one adult in breeding plumage) located on 33rd street on the bay side mixed in with scaup.

  1 Black Scoter mixed in with the same group above.

  1 Harris Sparrow at the main parking lot across from the restroom building.  I also saw additional 5 other species of sparrows including lots of Tree Sparrows.

  Spent quite a bit of time scanning for jaegers but the constant rain and high gusts made it very tough.  My best bet tomorrow will be a better day for lake scanning.

Mike Hendrickson
  Duluth, Minnesota
  Website: http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/
  Local Bird Guide