[mou] Lilydale Park birds

Jim Ryan muchmoredoc at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 12:05:28 EDT 2007

Hello Birders,
Late report here.  I have been checking out Lilydale Rd. the last few
mornings and saw a nice assortment of residents and migrants.  I was focused
between the train bridge on the east end (that crosses the east end of
Pickerel Lake) all the way to the boat launch area)  Sunday and Monday
mornings turned up:

*Best finds:*
Black crowned Night heron (2) - FOY
N. Parula (1) - FOY
Bay breasted warbler (1) - very faint reddish wash on flanks - FOY
Lincolns sparrow - (2) FOY - one had only one eye
Black & White Warbler (1)
Olive Sided flycatcher (1)
Empids - several silent ones I didn't attempt to speciate
Red-breasted Nuthatch (1)

*Other good finds:*
Red-eyed Vireo
Warbling Vireo
Downy woodpecker
Red-bellied woodpecker
Flicker
Cardinal
Blue Jays
R-T hawk
White-breasted nuthatch
Am. Robins - large juvenile flock
Song Sparrows
Goldfinches - lots
House finches - decent flock
I might be forgetting one or two more regulars here

*Non birds:*
deer: 3 bucks in velvet (Sunday morning) - a nice 6 pointer, an irregular
with about 6pts, and a 'unicorn' forkhorn with one broken off antler all
traveling together.

Good Birding to all!

--
Sincerely,

Jim Ryan on St. Paul's Westside
651-308-0234 cell

Are You Russian or American??

When NASA first started sending up astronauts, they quickly discovered that
ball-point pens would not work in zero gravity. To combat this problem, NASA
scientists spent a decade and $12 billion developing a pen that writes in
zero gravity, upside-down, on almost any surface including glass and at
temperatures ranging from below freezing to over 300 C. The Russians used a
pencil.

"A man who dares to waste an hour of time has not discovered the value of
life." - Charles Darwin