[mou] Ottertail cty. variety

Jeff and Amy Drake jadrake at arvig.net
Sun Apr 6 14:51:47 CDT 2008

I haven't seen any redpolls since two on Wed.

On my way to work on Friday (cty rd. 14 east of hwy 78) I saw my first of the year bluebird, kingfisher, tree swallow & pintail duck.  I also spied another E. meadowlark, many mallards, a few red head ducks, a pair of northern shovelers, canada geese, horned larks, many red tailed hawks, & a bald eagle.

Found a rough legged hawk on the way to Vergas yesterday along cty 14 west of Richville.

We currently have a huge flock 80+ of juncos (mostly the usual kind, a couple of oregons in the mix) weathering the heavy snow that's falling now.  So much for our nearly 60 degree day on Friday.

Other birds in the yard today are 3 fox sparrows, several purple finches, some red winged blackbirds, a Cooper's hawk (missed a junco this morning) and several robins.  Most of our robins had moved down the road near the junction of cty 1 and hwy 78 in Ottertail this morning.  There were nearly 100 all over the road and cleaning up under someone's large crabapple tree.  Many of the robins appeared inebriated (FWI?).  There were a couple of herring gulls on the ice near the open water of the river near there as well.  Other water birds:  common goldeneye, a raft of coots, common & hooded mergansers, trumpeter swans, ring bill ducks, lesser scaups, & canada geese.

Amy Drake
Richville, MN