[mou] Anoka County - Coon Rapids Dam Regional Park

Wenger, Char CAWenger at landolakes.com
Sun Apr 13 07:29:25 CDT 2008

Last night (Saturday - after 6:30 p.m.) we took a walk up the east side of the Mississippi River above the dam.  We saw:

at least 15 COMMON LOONS
many COMMON MERGANSERS
HOODED MERGANSERS
hundreds of ROBINS (the chorus in the woods was so beautiful!!)
RUBY CROWNED KINGLET
GOLDEN CROWNED KINGLET
BARRED OWL
OSPREY
BALD EAGLE
WOOD DUCK
CORMORANTS
possible HORNED GREBES (the light was bad and we did not have a scope with us)

We also had about 30-40 Fox Sparrows hanging around our backyard all day.  I had a hard time getting anything done because I just wanted to sit and stare out the window!!

The weather has been crappy this spring for us humans, but it certainly has made birding on the Mississippi River (and other places where the birds have stacked up) phenomenal!!  Get out and enjoy it!!

Charlotte Wenger
cawenger at landolakes.com
763-757-7888 (h)
651-481-2828 (w)