[mou] birding around

Steve Weston sweston2 at comcast.net
Sun Apr 13 00:47:49 CDT 2008

On Friday work sent me to Hastings (with time to drive via 180th) and then
out to New Ulm, which was too close not to check out Sleepy Eye.  Luckily
the snow was not a problem where I drove.  Many of the small ponds and lakes
were open and hosting waterfowl including diving ducks.  The most
interesting ducks were the two or three Red-breasted Mergansers one block
from home on Carlson Lake.  They were there still this afternoon.  The
greatest variety was on 180th Street marsh in Dakota County.  Out west the
most common ducks were Ring-neck, scaup (mostly Lesser, but many Greater),
and Canvassbacks (36 on one small pond south of LaFayette in Nicolet Co.).
The most interesting bird on the trip were the four Snow Buntings on 180th
about 2 mile east of the marsh.

Today I found a couple of Hermit Thrushes out my window.  My next door
neighbor reported six.  I also had a Song Sparrow and Fox Sparrow.   When I
returned home after dark, my garage door closing roused a Phoebe from his
roost in the garage.  I left him in the garage for the night and will
release him in the morning.

sweston2 at comcast.net