[mou] Lower Penn Lake Today...

Kathy Confer confer at umn.edu
Tue Apr 15 14:54:44 CDT 2008

Hello...Took an early lunch break to check out Lower Penn Lake at 86th
St W and Penn Ave in Bloomington. In addition to the usual Canada geese
and mallards, some of the common loons were still there. At one point, I
think I counted 12 (no binocs in the car ;-( ...Also saw a pie-billed
grebe--and about 30 double-crested cormorants circled over the lake,
landed, and then hung out for a while, taking off just before I did.
This all happened today (Tues) between 10:30 and 11:15am.

Good birding!
Kathy Confer

PS: Yesterday, on my way to work around 9am, I passed a perched adult
bald eagle in a tree next to the Cedarholm Golf Course pond on Hwy 36
between Hamline and Snelling. Then, on my way home around 6:15, I saw my
first glimpse of an osprey on the platform in the wetlands on the east
side of Lexington Ave, just north of Co Rd C-2. I do not know if this is
one of the ospreys that nested here last year. If I can locate and read
a band in the next few days, I'll check with the Twin Cities osprey
project to verify.