[mou] Hooded Warbler near Coon Rapids Dam Park

maziwa at comcast.net maziwa at comcast.net
Sun Apr 20 17:08:26 CDT 2008

Today from 9:30 to at least 11:30am when I left, there was a female Hooded Warbler in the Brooklyn Park Environmental Area "park".  If you're familiar with the area you take West River Rd north towards the Coon Rapids Dam Park.  Take a left onto the road just prior to the right turn you would take if you were going into the Coon Rapids Dam Park.  This left is clearly marked with a fairly large wooden sign that says "Brooklyn Park Environmental Area".

When you turn left into this area park your car immediately on the right side of the road.  She was on the right (north) side of this road flitting among the trees between the gravel road leading north to the fenced-in dump and the asphalt path that runs alongside West River Road.

I don't believe Hooded Warblers are overly common in MN.  This appeared to be a 1st-spring female because she had no evidence of an outline of a black hood.  However, she had olive upperparts and bright yellow underparts.  And the white spots in her tail were visible a lot as she went from branch to branch spreading her tail.

Bird on!

Tom