[mou] Red-Throated Loon at Lake Osakis/Others

JELLISBIRD at aol.com JELLISBIRD at aol.com
Sun Apr 20 17:11:50 CDT 2008

    My car broke down and my brother came from Mankato to pick me up but we
managed to swing by Lake Osakis and spotted a young Red-Throated Loon at the
Douglas/Todd County line. (Douglas 10 at Douglas 73 and Todd ?) There is a small
river that flows into Osakis in Todd County that has enlarged the water edge
of the ice covering on the lake to a substantial degree. We pulled in to the
public access in Douglas County (40 yard edge of water) and the loon got up and
flew N NE a short distance and sat down again. As it flew its head was
carried lower than the body and the overall effect was a small washed out grey loon.
    We picked up the loon in Todd County waters where it was preening and
foraging. Associated with it in the same area were C. Loons, a Western Grebe and
a Red-Necked Grebe. The Loon was about 2/3 the size of the C. Loons and had a
fairly long neck, superficially similar in look to the Western Grebe, but
larger. Its bill was dark and was carried in a slightly upturned fashion (it also
had a slight upturned crook on the lower part of the bill which accentuated
this look. The bill was pointed and somewhat fine, the eye was dark. The loon
had medium grey on the top of the face and the back of the neck. The body was
largely grey with no white above the water-line but it had a white underside.
The lower part of the face was whitish compared with the top; the chin was a
darker grey. There was a buffy-red wash on the front of the upper part of the
throat. Unusual ? were darker patches on both sides of the neck from about
half-way down the neck to about 3/4 of the way down the neck. These patches were not
connected to anything else that was grey; they were surrounded by white.
There was also a smaller spot of dark grey on the lower part of the front of the
neck, well above the water line...but low...also surrounded by white. Neither
Sibley nor Nat. Geog show a plate that looks identical to the bird I saw, but
it looks to be an amalgam of juvenile, 1st winter and non-breeding Red-Throated
loon in plumage. Carriage and shape of the bill and the lowered head in
flight confirm Red-Throated Loon (with plumage I have not seen before.)
    Also had a brown Thrasher in Douglas yesterday.

    John Ellis-St. Paul<BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>Need a new ride? Check
out the largest site for U.S. used car listings at AOL Autos.<BR>
(http://autos.aol.com/used?NCID=aolcmp00300000002851)</HTML>