[mou] John Jarosz, Stuff-it

Larson Kelly northernflights at charter.net
Fri Feb 1 01:06:56 CST 2008

Think hard Richard,

Rocks and mud and plants don't move. They can be studied in great
detail, close up, and they generally sit still for as long as you
would like to look at them. You can feel the textures, experiment
with different lighting and see what happens to surfaces when they
are dirty, or wet, or worn.  If the artists is not happy with his
first rendition he can go back to the subject again and again until
he is satisfied that he understands what he is looking at and learns
how to accurately portray it's essence.

Tell us, when the last time you were able to study even a common
bird, like a Robin, in this way? How for example, without the aid of
highly advanced modern photography, would we know anything about how
the feathers covering a Robin's ear were arranged, or the shape of
the scales on it's leg, or the texture of the skin on the underside
of it's toes? A collection of small details describes the whole bird.
Details we could not have known without postmortem study. Details
that have led us to questions, thoughtful study, and better
understanding of each species.

Kelly Larson
Bagley/Bemidji Minnesota
Kelly Larson