[mou] John Jarosz, Stuff-it

Matthew Schaut mschaut22 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 1 12:19:55 CST 2008

In this day and age when imagining techniques are so amazing, where surgeons and pilots can get better using virtual than they can on real objects, Richard's question holds a great deal of merit.

  Matthew Schaut

Larson Kelly <northernflights at charter.net> wrote:
  Think hard Richard,

  Rocks and mud and plants don't move. They can be studied in great detail, close up, and they generally sit still for as long as you would like to look at them. You can feel the textures, experiment with different lighting and see what happens to surfaces when they are dirty, or wet, or worn.  If the artists is not happy with his first rendition he can go back to the subject again and again until he is satisfied that he understands what he is looking at and learns how to accurately portray it's essence.

  Tell us, when the last time you were able to study even a common bird, like a Robin, in this way? How for example, without the aid of highly advanced modern photography, would we know anything about how the feathers covering a Robin's ear were arranged, or the shape of the scales on it's leg, or the texture of the skin on the underside of it's toes? A collection of small details describes the whole bird. Details we could not have known without postmortem study. Details that have led us to questions, thoughtful study, and better understanding of each species.

    Kelly Larson
  Bagley/Bemidji Minnesota

    Kelly Larson
  Bemidji Minnesota