[mou] Merlin, Rough Legged Steel County

Watson, Alexander Robert alexander.watson at mnsu.edu
Sat Feb 2 20:39:15 CST 2008

On Friday the 1st Clyde Bonnema and myself enjoyed an incredible day on Steel County 45 from Owatonna to MN 30 near Geneva.

 along the 13 miles of Steele County 45 we saw in a very short amount of time. . .

 a Barred Owl 300 feet from the Hwy 14 interchange to the east

A Merlin 1/4 miles north of the Wetland area (coincidentally when the 2 ibises were seen at that wetland 2 years ago, there was a dead Merlin along the road at that wetland)

A Rough Legged and Red Tail Hawks at the wetland.  Pheasants trying to avoid them.

A Northern Shrike at a spot I cant remember, before the wetland though, by a power substation.