[mou] 5 Spruce Grouse ~ Lake Co.

Conny Brunell connybrunell at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 2 21:50:47 CST 2008

This morning Susan Schumacher and I enjoyed seeing 5 Spruce Grouse up on Lake CR 2.

The first 2 were females 1.8 miles north of the Sand River sign at 7:50 am.
The second 2 were males 2.8 miles north of the Sand River sign.
The 3rd a male on our way way back south from a turn around from Lake CR 2 ~ MN. Hwy1 intersection was
8.6 miles south on CR 2 ( which is also about 3 miles north of the Greenwood Lake Public Access, and well south of the Sand River.

Disappointing was the fact that on our way back in the very same spot that we had seen the 2 females  roadside earlier, one had been hit and was dead.  The 2 males that we had watched in our scopes from a distance also came within a hair of being run over by a fast moving logging truck.  The road was in good driving condition with light snowfall and decent plowed shoulders to pull off on.  It was a  mild morning to be out on CR 2 and the Spruce Grouse were active and visible while we were there.

Conny Brunell
Richfield, Hennepin Co.