[mou] Zim Spruce Grouse

Robert_Russell at fws.gov Robert_Russell at fws.gov
Tue Feb 5 10:48:15 CST 2008

I have a rather convincing report from 28 January of a Spruce Grouse seen
perched very high in a conifer along the Stone Lake Road just east of where
the straight section running east from  St. Louis County 7 does a sharp
right turn, then curves back to the left if you're headed east.  The bird
was in a tall white spruce by the roadside on the north side of the road.
Observers were from the National Fish and Wildife Foundation(NFWF) included
Dan Petit, the new national bird initiative coordinator for NFWF and an
accomplished birder, Tim Male, NFWF's new habitat coordinator, and Don
Waage, NFWF's regional coordinator.  Note NFWF's new dedication to bird
conservation!  All of these observers know Ruffed Grouse well.  This is the
closest to the Sax-Zim bog that I have ever heard of a Spruce Grouse being
seen but the area does back onto the Cloquet Valley State Forest where I've
heard of birds being seen.  Maybe festival goers could check this site to
verify.  Any comments?  Bob Russell, Dakota County