[mou] Sax Zim / WI Landfill

Michael Hendrickson mlhendrickson at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 6 17:24:04 CST 2008

Birding today with Sylvia Quast originally from Rochester, MN and now a resident of Sacramento, CA.

 Sax Zim Bog highlights:

-American Three-toed Woodpecker (male) Blue Spruce Rd (Co. Rd 211)
-Black-backed Woodpecker (male) Blue Spruce Rd (Co. Rd 211)
* within 20 yrds of each other!!

-Hoary Redpoll (briefly seen by me) Derek Morris feeder on Blue Spruce Rd.

-Boreal Chickadees (4) coming to the deer rib carcass on the Admiral Rd.
-White-winged Crossbills Heard several birds fly over head on the Admiral Rd at the deer carcass location.
-Black-billed Magpies on the McDavitt Rdon 1/4 north of the Sax Rd. There is a farm on the left side of road.
Northern Hawk Owl usual spot on Co. Rd 7 near the Zim sod farm.

Wisconsin Landfill highlights:

-Slaty-backed Gull
-Iceland Gull (adult)
-Thayer's Gull (adult and 2nd cycle)
-Glaucous Gulls
-Greater Black-backed Gull (1st cycle)

We arrived at the landfill at 1:00pm and stayed till 2:00pm.  We saw the Slaty-backed Gull immediately on the berm and stayed around for 15 minutes and then the gulls flushed due to a imm. Bald Eagle. The Slaty-backed Gull never return as 1/2 of the flock departed the landfill when the eagle flushed them.

Other Highlights

-Northern shrike
-Pine Grosbeaks
-Common Redpoll