[mou] Out Birding Today

Michael Hendrickson mlhendrickson at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 26 19:28:41 CST 2008

I was out guiding George and Cindy from Oregon.

Highlights:

-Boreal Chickadee (2) 1. Blue Spruce Rd feeders at Sax Zim Bog 2. Deer carcass on the Admiral Rd. there were 2 individuals feeding on the carcasses.

-Hoary Redpoll  Blue Spruce Rd feeders at Sax Zim Bog. This is a really a nice looking male Hoary Redpoll.

-Thayer's Gull at Wisconsin Landfill
-Glaucous Gull at Wisconsin Landfill

* Searched for Spruce Grouse early this morning at two location in Cook, Minnesota and could not relocate them

* The deer carcass location on Admiral Road is very easy to find since there are now two carcasses strapped to the same tree and 3 hanging suet feeders!!  This tree looks like a shrine for Boreal Chickadees!!  Which is good. I took a photo of the deer carcass feeders and placed them on my blog so you can see what I mean.

* I'll be out this Friday and Saturday guiding two different birding parties and after Saturday I am pretty much done guiding for the winter season. This has been a busy winter season for me guiding which is sort odd since there is no owl irruption, winter finches are low in numbers and only twice did I find White-winged Crossbills this winter.  Bohemian Waxwings are scarce to find but if it wasn't for the feeding station on the Blue Spruce Rd and all the woodpeckers in the bog it would of been one boring winter season here in northeast Minnesota.

Mike

Mike Hendrickson
Duluth, Minnesota
Website: http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/