[mou] Cass County sightings 1/12

Andrew Birch andrewlbirch at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 17:04:58 CST 2008

Today I birded the Northeast corner of Cass County and had the
following highlights:

Northern Hawk Owl - 1.5 miles west of County 8 on County 73 in tree
top on north side of road.

Black-backed Woodpecker - 1 female located exactly 1 mile west of
County 8 on County 157 (locally known as "Toilet Bowl Corner"), and
both a male and a female on County 158 - 2.4 miles south of County 3
near the Mud/Goose Lake WMA.

Barred Owl - 2
Pine Grosbeak - 57
Common Redpolls - 73

Would have liked to get to more tamarack habitat today but ended up
spending 1.5 hours watching four Timber wolves playing, sleeping,
stretching, and scratching out on Goose Lake.  At one point I had all
four wolves and two very panicked otters in the same scope field.

--
Andrew Birch