[mou] [mnbird] RFI, perhaps July is the time to diversify

Steve Weston sweston2 at comcast.net
Tue Jul 1 22:36:59 CDT 2008

Hi Al,

When I head off to scout camp this summer, I will take some 20+ field guides
and books on nature.  Here are some recommendations.

I like the North Woods Naturalist Series published by Kollath-Stensaas
Publishing in Duluth.  I have five of their books.  Their books are written
for northern Minnesota and are applicable for most of what you will find in
the state.  I think their Dragonflies of the North Woods is the best
Dragonfly field book available, as is their Damselflies, although I am not
as interested in those.  I wish both showed more of the nymphs, but I doubt
many others would be interested in those, and the nymphs are unlikely to be
anywhere that you will bump into them.  I also have their Spiders and
Butterflies guides by Larry Weber.  the Spiders guide is probably unique.
It goes with me to scout camp, but doesn't usually go into the field with
me.  The Butterflies guide is great.  I use it often, but it is not
comprehensive enough for me.  I use the Kaufman Butterflies guide book,
which is wonderful, but much more difficult to use because it covers some
five to ten times more species.  The North Woods field guides are available
in many nature orientated book stores or you can contact Sparky Stensaas:
sparkystensaas at hotmail.com.  I have no finacial connection with this
publisher, although I do know Sparky and like supporting local interests.

Another field guide that I recently obtained that I think is great is the
Princeton Field Guides: Mammals of North America.

sweston2 at comcast.net