[mou] Henslow's sparrow- Carver

Robin LaFortune fortune at frontiernet.net
Wed Jul 9 18:12:27 CDT 2008

Hi-

Hiked around Carver PR this am, re- found the Henlow's sparrow reported by John Cyrus (his directions:To get to this location follow the main trail west of Lowry Nature Center(south of Crosby Lake).   Continue until you get beyond Crosby Lake and out into a prairie area(closer to the hwy).  He was calling from the top of a tall grass on the right side of the trail(right beside the trail).).
This was the best look I've had of a Henlow's, and while I watched him sing, heard a second one also singing a bit further away. I also flushed 3 woodcock while walking the boardwalk in the bog. Otherwise, I saw a lot of expected species, but enjoyable none the less.

I then decided to check the New Germany area and see how it was shaping up for shorebirds.  I had to detour down to Waconia and thru Mayer, as HWY 7 is closed, but I didn't mind as I found singing dickcissels east of Waconia, along HWY 5, and in some weedy fields south of Mayer.  The pools at New Germany do not have any good habitat yet for shorebirds, one pool is too high and the other 2 are chock full of marsh grass.  I didn't get completely busted though, as I found a small flooded farm field just south of New Germany on 33 that had the following:
16 Greater Yellowlegs
4 Lesser Yellowlegs
10 Least Sandpipers
2 Pectoral Sandpipers
1 Wilson's Phalarope
1 Solitary Sandpiper
Many Killdeer (including babies!!)

I also saw the Red-headed woodpeckers that are usually in the area.

Robin LaFortune
Delano, MN