[mou] Sherburne NWR Tuesday

birderbetsy at comcast.net birderbetsy at comcast.net
Tue Jul 15 22:15:49 CDT 2008

Minnesota Birding Friends:

I'm vacationing in Minnesota for a couple of weeks - and visited Sherburne NWR this morning for the first time in many years.  I had a friend from Argentina along.  We tried to walk, but deer flies were relentless and made hiking no fun, so we opted to drive along the wildlife drive instead.  She got to see her FIRST bald eagle!  It's always fun to see birds for the first time AGAIN through another's eyes.  Two young eaglets have fledged, and an adult was in the area.  Probably the most thrilling sight for me was a black-billed cuckoo - out in the OPEN - and calling, at 10:00 a.m. on a hot day.  I watched it for several minutes.  Was fun.

I'm staying at Upper Spunk Lake, near Avon, west of St. Cloud and there's a pair of loons on the lake who have 3 good-sized young.  Am enjoying the feeder birds I no longer get to see - cardinal, rose-breasted grosbeak, etc. AND I caught a 4-lb. walleye...yum, yum...

Hope to bird around Pine County at the end of the week before returning to Utah...which will be HOT and brown.  I'm soaking up the green and blue...

Betsy Beneke
Brigham City, Utah
(but always a Minnesotan at heart!)