[mou] white pelicans in carver county continued

Kathryn Young kathwren1 at verizon.net
Sun Jul 20 21:08:18 CDT 2008

Hi all - The following is good information on White Pelicans from
Jeff Matteo, Bemidjii.  He bands the Pelicans and has worked with
them for over 5 years.  He had these very informative comments
regarding mine and Craig's recent posts on possible young pelicans at
Tiger Lake in Carver County.  Kathryn Young Mpls

>> Hi Kathryn,
>>
>> Thanks for your response.  Based on Craig's description, I'd
>> guess  he is right
>> and those were all adult pelicans.  Young of the year do not get
>> black feathers
>> on their heads.  One year old pelicans do not return north to
>> breeding areas
>> their first summer, and instead stay on traditional wintering
>> areas.  Two year
>> old pelicans do return north, but do not breed and just roam in
>> groups away from
>> breeding colonies.  White pelicans are thought to breed at three
>> years of age,
>> but a number of us working with pelicans don't think that's
>> always  the case.
>> During the courting and early breeding season, adult pelicans
>> have  white plumes
>> on top of their heads, but that begins to molt after eggs are
>> layed  and by the
>> time they are feeding young most have black feathers on the top
>> and  back of
>> their heads (some quite extensive).  They also grow a "knob" on
>> their bill in
>> the spring, that also drops off when they have young.  However,
>> even nonbreeding
>> two year old birds grow the knob and develop the white plumes
>> that  are lost
>> during the summer, so it's pretty hard to tell a breeding from a
>> nonbreeding
>> bird.  I don't know if the one year old birds that stay south get
>> those
>> characteristics their first year.  Young of the year can have a
>> somewhat yellow
>> bill, but it generally is much duller and drab than the yellow of
>> an adult.
>>
>> Anyway, no, I don't live near the Twin Cities, I live up in
>> Bemidji.  But I work
>> with pelicans breeding in Minnesota from the Iowa border to the
>> Canadian border.
>>
>> Thanks again for the information!
>>
>> -Jeff
>>

>>> Hi Jeff - I was with Craig Mandel (an excellent and well known
>>> birder
>>> here in MN) he took some pictures and here are his conclusions of
>>> what we saw.
>>> Jeff do you live around the Twin Cities?  kathryn young
>>>

>>> Just getting a chance to post the birds that Kathryn and I
>>> observed on
>>> Monday, in SW Minnesota.
>>> 7:00 am - 3:00 pm
>>>
>>> Carver County
>>> American White Pelican - Tiger Lake
>>> There was a large congregation of American White Pelicans on Tiger
>>> Lake on
>>> Monday.  Including many full white adult and molting adult American
>>> White
>>> Pelicans.  There were also several birds that I thought may have