[mou] Kirtland's Warbler nears MN

Robert_Russell at fws.gov Robert_Russell at fws.gov
Mon Jul 21 14:43:01 CDT 2008

Recently I became aware that yet another Kirtland's Warbler has been
discovered in Wisconsin, this time within 30 miles of the MN border.  Is
anyone aware of large tracts of young jackpine on the MN side of the border
in Carlton, Pine (Mark?), Kenabec (Reverend Al?), Chisago, St. Louis (Jan
et al.)?  Seems as though one must have strayed over here by now and
sometimes this bird sings late into the summer.  There's still a chance and
with all the east winds lately Park Point could even have a migrant KIWA.
Most of the jackpine I've seen in central MN around Wadena seems senascent
and too spindly to ever harbor a Kirtland's W.  Bob Russell, Dakota County