[mou] Harlequin Duck still at Prescott 3/15; GH Owl in Oakdale

jtanamachi at comcast.net jtanamachi at comcast.net
Sat Mar 15 19:31:55 CDT 2008

For those who may still want to take a look at this fellow, the Harlequin Duck is still hanging around the train bridge at Prescott WI. We watched it move south of the bridge three times as trains crossed when it relocated to the area near the bright blue boat dock building. It's much easier to spot now that the hundreds of other ducks have moved on.

A dozen or so Bald Eagles were on the wing, with several pairs performing courtship flights. We were told that a Peregrine Falcon has been seen around the bridge but did not see it ourselves.

We missed finding the Snowy Owl today in the vicinity of 170th and Emory Ave. in Dakota County. In fact, raptors were notably scarce in that area.

A Great Horned Owl on an old hawk's nest was easily seen this afternoon at the same location as last year in Oakdale. The nest is on the north side of Highway 5 just east of I694. There is a a lot of traffic there but the shoulder is wide enough to pull off for a good view. The nest is between the entrance ramp to I694 and the entrance to the Imation headquarters but closer to the entrance ramp.

Jeanne Tanamachi
Lauderdale MN