[mou] Henderson area tour; Burnsville tufted titmouse

linda whyte birds at moosewoods.us
Sat Mar 15 20:00:34 CDT 2008

Today we enjoyed the hospitality of some of the local birding community in
the Minnesota River Valley, around the Blakely-Belle Plaine-Henderson area.
Our tour introduced us to the hot-spot byways, and some of the birds to be
expected in different places. We saw bald eagles, including a mating pair at
the nest; a heron rookery; several red-tails, including a dark morph; many
turkeys; a barred owl; a kestrel; and a shrike, among others. En route, we
traveled through areas known for woodcock on display, whip-poor-wills, and
ceruleans and other warblers. We were made to feel most welcome, and I'm
surely not the only person who looks forward to returning there in warmer
weather!

Our thanks goes out to Delores Hagen, Art and Barb Straub, Mr. Bender, and
all the others who were so informative and welcoming.

As a nice addendum to the day, we stopped by Dave and Marge Cahlendar's
house in Burnsville, where Rob finally got to see the tufted titmouse.
Thanks again, to the Cahlendars.

Linda Whyte