[mou] Barred Owl treat

Thomas Maiello thomas at angelem.com
Wed Mar 19 15:36:45 CDT 2008

Here in my new digs of 6 months now in Maple Grove just on the west
side of West Eagle Lake (south of 694 and a mile east of 494) I sit
looking out my window at the goldfinches when they suddenly all
disappear in a hurry.  And then nothing.  Nothing.  Five minutes creep
by in about an hour and then a silent movement of feathers the size of
a basketball (Osseo lost to Cooper in my step-daughter's last captain
of the high school cheerleaders game last night - and so the sports
analogy).  With amazing smoothness a beautiful Barred Owl lights on a
branch directly in front of my window about 25 feet away and about 15
feet up in the tree for easy viewing!  (My office is in the second
floor just below the height of the perch.)  What a great way to study
the features of the bird and the uncanny ability to pivot it's head
towards me with the slightest movement I make other than just turning
my head.  It doesn't seem to mind me though, just something to check
out.  With all of the squirrels and soon-to-be chipmunks about I hope
to see it browse through the delicatessen portion of the yard some
time and perhaps share the experience with me.  Maybe the feeder
droppings and the attention given by the rodents with fuzzy tails is
what attracted this beautiful predator in for my viewing delight.
Regardless, praise and gratitude to this huddling bird.  Perhaps a
squirrel might make a misstep and make my day.  With such excellent
camouflage against the brown, vertically streaked tree trunk, it seems
likely.

Thomas Maiello
Angel Environmental Management, Inc.
Maple Grove, MN